28 November 2011

Food Intolerances

It seems that it’s becoming much more common nowadays for people to recognize that they have intolerances to specific foods. It’s been said that Celiac disease, which is an autoimmune disorder when it comes to gluten, affects 1 in 105 people in the US, many of whom are undiagnosed.

I have known that my body does not like lactose very much for a while, but I have recently discovered an intolerance to gluten.

For any readers who are unaware of what gluten is, it’s a protein found in wheat and is responsible for holding baked goods together. Gluten makes bread so soft and springy, and is used in almost all processed foods as well.

Gluten affects every person differently. Intolerances to it can cause anything from ADD, to weight gain or loss, to pain when you eat, and many more symptoms. It also can cause chronic fatigue and dizzy spells.

Gluten is a hard thing to give up! Just this last week, I have decided that I am going to have to cut it out of my diet permanently due to the horrible side effects I’m getting from it. I have been off of it since Monday, and I can honestly say I feel awesome.  

I am trying to build up a database of recipes that I can try or tweak to make gluten and dairy free. My plan is to post recipes I have tried on my blog. Also, if anyone has suggestions for recipes that fit these criteria, please let me know, as I’d love to try them out.


0 comments:

 
Template: Blog Designs by Sheila